Sunday 20 December 2015

Variation on a theme of Chicago Deep Pan Pizza - UK Version

Variation on a theme of Chicago






A colleague mentioned that she missed traditional Chicago style pizza. I'd never heard of such a thing, but now understand that it is quite different to anything else - -deep, in a flan style, crunchy+flaky, and filled in reverse. - So the "flan" is first filled with cheese, and tomato topping goes on top. - With any other additions on top of that. So this is my variation.

The pastry/dough is quite different to anything else I've experienced, sort of half dough, half flaky pastry, and including cornmeal for crunch.






The yeast dough is left to rise, then spread with butter, rolled up like a Swiss roll, formed to a ball, the rolled out again, and - then put in whatever deep tin is to hand,

Probably poison to Pizza purists, in the absence of a really hot Pizza oven I often bake blind for 10 mins r so to get a crispy head start. Then bung in the cheese, in this case loads of cheddar and mozzarella, spread the tomato goo on top and bake away until I think it's done.
I've no idea how like the real thing this is, but in its own right it was very tasty and popular with my guests.










No comments:

Post a Comment